WA Bulletin 2012/18 Sunday 23rd September 2012
- Contents : All Hands 2012-2 on the website; Reunion 1954-56;2012 A&NZ joint reunion photos; Sinking of the mv R B Angus in 1967; 2012 UK Social Event photos.
- Regular items: Website Usage; Tips.
- Broken website links: Should you come across any website links which do not work please notify me by email → Chris Clarke
- To use the links below, first login then press the Ctrl key on your keyboard whilst you click the link in this bulletin.
- Thumbnail pictures: double click on the picture which will cause it to load up full size in another window.
- Please read "Website Tips" at the bottom of this bulletin and if in difficulty go to the online Help Forum.
All Hands 2012-2 now availableA new edition of All Hands is on the website and is ready to download here → Journals. We are receiving some very good articles from members these days, usually about their time at sea. In this edition you can read about service on a passenger ferry on Lake Nyassa (now Malawi) in the 1950s from Dennis Mason and Nick Funston's time in the 1970s as Master of the China Steam Navigation Company's mt Cree. David Young has written an interesting account of his time in the Army with the RASC, part of which was spent at HM Gunwharf in Portsmouth.
There must be countless stories to be told by Association members of their sea service and other occupations around the world, serious incidents and hilarious episodes alike. If you have ever fancied writing (and who hasn't) here is your opportunity. All you need to do is put fingers to keyboard and submit your literary classic to John Downs for a future edition of All Hands.
The centerfold in this edition is of cadets who left Warsash at the end of the summer term of 1962.
UK Reunion for Warsash ex-cadets 1954-56Alan Jordan, with assistance from John Turner, has arranged a reunion for members who graduated in 1954, 1955 and 1956. The event will be held in the Southampton/Portsmouth area from Thursday 11th to Sunday 14th October. However all WA Members regardless of year at Warsash are invited to attend the dinner to be held at the Royal Naval Club and Royal Albert Yacht Club on Saturday 13th October.
You will find full details and documentation here → 1954-56 Reunion. Click here to email Alan Jordan.
2012 Australia and New Zealand Social Event Photos 7 - 8 SeptemberYou will find three photos taken at the A&NZ Reunion in Brisbane in September here → Gallery Home > Warsash Association > Australian Branch > 2012 Australia and New Zealand Reunion - Brisbane. Also if you attended and have any comments about the event please write here → Forum Home > Events > 2012 Australia and New Zealand Reunion - Brisbane.
If one of you should write an account of the reunion please email it to myself at Chris Clarke and to John Downs for All Hands.
Sinking of the mv R B Angus 1967 - R B Mallam (1960)Robin Malam will be giving a talk on Monday October 15th on board the HQS Wellington, Temple Stairs, The Embankment, London for the Wellington Trust, a charity associated with the Honourable Company of Master Mariners, on the loss of the mv R B Angus in 1967. She was a bulk carrier owned by Canadian Pacific Bermuda. Robin was her Second Officer when she foundered in the North Pacific without loss of life.
You can download a flyer introducing Robin's presentation here → mv R B Angus sinking which contains a cut-off section should you wish to attend what I am sure will be a most interesting session.
Robin has also asked for any WA member who served on the mv R B Angus to contact him which you can do via this email link → firstname.lastname@example.org.
2012 UK Social Event 7 - 9 SeptemberYou will find a number of photos of this event here → Gallery Home > Warsash Association > UK Event. More batches will follow as time permits, including some taken by John Turner at the dinner. If you want me to upload your photos send them to me and I do it for you. Names, what/ where taken can be inserted in the photo descriptions after uploading. You can either email your photos to me, put them on a sharing photo website (e.g. Flickr, Picasa or Photobucket) if you have such an account, or send them to me on a CD or on a memory stick.
Those who attended the Bristol Event may record their comments for John Turner all other members to read here → Forum Home > Events > 2012 UK Social Event - Bristol.
- The average daily number of unique visitors to the website so far in September is 106 (August 91).
- The Warsash Association website now contains: 4,130 names, 190 News articles, 40 Events to date, 1,758 photos in 267 Galleries and 2,840 Forum posts
- Website up-time in August 2012 was 99.82% (independently monitored). There was 1 outage on the host server (computer) in the previous month of not more than 1.5 hour
Kind regards, Chris Clarke
Website TipsYour first actions after logging in:
- List recent messages and photos created on the website using the function "View" in the top right corner of your screen.
- Click on "View - Posts since last visit".
- Click on "View - All photos last 4 weeks".
- Generate your own new secure password via the website click "About this website/ Unable to login?" in the drop-down menu.
- This will email to you a link to change your email address and then another email to let you know the new password which has been generated.
- Remember - passwords are case sensitive.
- The pictures you see in the galleries are only thumbnails. Hover your cursor over the thumbnail and the caption appears.
- Click on the photo and it'll load up full size showing the caption and ID (Username) of member who uploaded it. Click Username and the member's profile loads up.
- Click here → Forum Home then place your cursor on the forum "Help".
- Lessons from the "Help" forum are sent out periodically from the website.